Friday, August 2, 2013

Hey Young World


What’s really good people?

Typically this would have been a lay-up on the MY OMO NAIJA blogspot this week after the whole Riley Cooper incident went down just 48 hours ago but there is so much positive buzz and excitement in my life this week why let a small fry like that redneck hill billy take away from the shine in my life. So maybe another week, a better teaching moment and more ignorance from other Americans just speaking their racist minds will suffice for us to chop it up more on the state of race in America.

Ok people; let me get focused…

So just a little over 24 hours back my life will forever change once again, with the blessing from the man up above and a loving wife I witnessed and became a proud father of a baby girl named Adira. All the advise and planning leading up to the birth of my daughter still could not replace being in the moment. The only way I can explain or describe it is that feeling you get when you finally get the nerve to ask your first crush out on a date, see your soon to be spouse walking in your direction in a wedding ceremony down the aisle or back in the day during your school years find yourself at a point of no return because you know its about to go down and all you can pray for is homeboy does not show being is though wait a minute did I just say “being is though”? SMH. Well being as though you don’t want to be sent to the hospital on a stretcher.

There is a fantastic ballad by pop musician Celine Dion that has been playing in my head for days now leading up to the arrival of my daughter. It goes something like;
The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave
To the night and the empty skies, my love
To the night and empty skies etc…

Now that was the disney fairytale feel good side, how about I remind you all of all the work behind the scenes in preparing for a child birth that people just conveniently gloss over like the countless doctor’s appointments and regular check-ups mothers attend leading up to delivery, all the you do it yourself furniture you have to assemble when trying to build a nursery, monies spent by family and friends for the baby shower, hospital fees and cost that almost put you in debt and my favorite trying to learn how to install a car seat properly into my pimp ride from some volunteer at your local fire department station that can take up half of your day. WTF?

You know what at that very moment when you are first handed the baby I guess it all starts to make sense. That is the time when any responsible parent should have his/her Chris Rock moment and come to the realization that my work is just getting started. Now all the work and build up in anticipation for the delivery was great but as a father the only responsibility you have left in life to your wife and daughter is to ensure you do everything in your power to keep that girl from working any type of pole or becoming some low budget Youtube “twirking” dancer.

Buckle-up & Enjoy the Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS