Friday, August 23, 2013

You Are Your Hisotry


What’s really good people?

It is finally here; the much anticipated fantasy football draft for my mates and I is this weekend. This means football and fall is right around the corner and bye bye to summer. When it comes to fantasy football though this is all about bragging rights amongst the brotherhood for a whole year so you better put your best foot forward. Well the payout is not too bad at the end of the season if all goes well too. As for the summer I don’t care too much for it any longer for some reason with the exception of getting to see my nieces and nephew the infamous Kool Keedz and spending quality time with family during their visit. One more week before the holiday weekend so time to get in that last summer-time fun and get your grub on at the cookouts people.
 
Ok people; let me get focused…

My brother recently schooled me on something during his weekly let me drop some knowledge on you talks when he told me “you are your history”. I was like oh ooh this is gonna be one of them intense conversations but it turned out that it was fairly light hearted but he just wanted to get his point across after we both encountered something very disturbing in our circle.

Sure enough his words of wisdom would actually play itself out in a fun group chat with my mates this week after one of my high school pictures became the butt of all jokes. I am not too sure if it was the actual picture, the era it represented or notion that if one could get a redo this would have been one of those automatic rewind, delete and start all over moments. As usual it was just regular everyday humor and banter amongst my peoples and boy I will admit they took full advantage of this opportunity by roasting me pretty good.

What I found to be the most satisfying from all the trash talking was how not for one moment did I shy away from claiming and owning my history. Now how many people do you know are willing to own their s**t, yourself included?

Let us take a trip down memory lane shall we… How about these???

Michael Jackson and his shinny white socks - Shoulder pads in women’s clothing

Michael Jordan and his hoop ear rings - MC Hammer and his parachute pants

Hulk Hogan and his waist pouches -Socks & Sandals

Now these are the silly fashion fau paux many of us at one point have made over the years growing up.

The other type of history you have to claim is the serious ones we don’t get to laugh off so easily when it comes to decision-making. I always loved the scene in Goodfellas when Joe Pesci is confronted by another one of the mob bosses as a former shoe shiner turn gangsta. Rather than claiming it and owning his past he goes Naija style crazy with his infamous line; “I’m funny how? I mean funny like I’m a clown? I amuse you? 

Don’t let your HISTORY get you wacked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS