Saturday, July 27, 2013

What Makes News In Nigeria


What’s really good people?

So excited to see and experience the blessing of another addition to my family this week. No I am not talking about William and Kate’s boy. I am talking about the birth of my nephew. Here is to wishing you great health, success, prosperity and long life. BTW; who are all these losers in the UK and world all over who continue to enslave themselves in the lives of celebrities and figureheads as if these folk give any two sense about their welfare. The British will have you believe that all this Royal family talk is something every commoner has a stake-in, well yeah as long as you keep fattening their pockets and allow the royals surplus access to tax payer monies. I personally just which the news media will actually take the time to develop and present storylines of substance every once in a while. I don’t know maybe entering the home stretch of RAMADAN is what has gotten me so cranky this week. Most will just say I have always been a grumpy old man anyways. SMH     
 
Ok people; let me get focused…

Speaking of substance that is the one thing Nigerian news publications continue to show very little of in recent years. Every morning when I wake up to check my twitter or read up on current events back home the rubbish that makes the headlines in Nigeria is so juvenile and irresponsible that all you can do is just shake your head. I mean should I really care for how much one artist paid for a chain? Which Range Rover sport so&so is driving? Who recently bought a property in Banana Island? How many fleet of cars some business person possesses? Nigeria is just so oversaturated with shallow and simple minded thinking people that this stuff actually gets more attention in comparison to the stories about the leaders we have in office and their lack of leadership in government who run the country into the ground.

While on an outing today with my 7 year old niece, we were talking and one thing led to another and in closing all I can remember or what simply only registered in my brain from the 2 minute exchange was her quote “nothing in Nigeria is good”. Folks this is the state of Nigeria today and sad but true this was the same thinking I had of Nigeria 25 plus years ago. I could not even try to bring myself to rebut or discredit her thinking because that would mean I too was part of the problem not the solution.

This week I choose to focus on Nigeria’s news industry both print and electronic in part because somewhere and somehow what was a staple in our country has deteriorated rapidly. Only in the Nigeria news outlets do you come across columnist and publications of articles that are blatantly plagiarized or copied/paste from one source and re-printed in another source without giving the owner of the original work his/her credit. Then you go online to read up on current events but no you wait two, three days if not a week sometimes to see updated post from leading Nigerian news website. I mean what type of impression is this for the rest of the world to have of our country?

Part of the blame also falls on the whorish behaviors many Nigerians have exhibited in recent years as it pertains to their acclaim for the west in particular the United States and Europe. No longer do Nigerians see opportunities for growth extended to them in their own homeland, so why not live in a state of denial and allow yourselves to be distracted by the lure of cars, money, women and fame. I guess these news publications do know what they are doing after all huh?

So what’s NEW     

2 comments:

  1. Sad state of affairs bro. and its happening all over the world. Poor people in Haiti are the same way - they only care about material things. When they ask you for something they attach a brand to it. "Can you send me some Nike sox....."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hak your comment is so TRUE yet so HILARIOUS. P

    ReplyDelete

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS