Saturday, October 13, 2012

Race & Ethnicity

What up people?

You know that old adage, to much is given much is expected never rang so true until very recently for the kid. I mean I am extremely thankful and very blessed to have been giving such a FANTASTIC opportunity to build, create and oversee programs that better lives and contribute to the human development of people. Truthfully, LIFE is GOOD on this side. This week has been a remarkable one for my family and we give the man up above all the praise for his watchful eye over us and the strength to preserver during moments of darkness and dismay this very difficult year. It is without question that when I say “Boys who’s got it better than us?” The answer is unequivocally is NOBODY!  

Ok people; let me get focused…

I was facilitating a workshop earlier this week on Cultural Competency and Diversity when one of the attendees asked a very interesting question, what is the difference between race and ethnicity? Hmmmmmmmm; I made sure I gave myself a good minute to think before I responded because clearly if you going to teach a workshop on a hot button topic such as cultural competency you best know what you talking about. You ever felt like someone is asking you a question to test you just to check if you know WTF you talking about? So in short my response to the gentleman was race refers to the group you identify with typically through one’s physical appearance i.e. skin color, eye color, hair. Ethnicity on the other hand relates to cultural factors such as nationality, ancestry and language. I was so proud of myself after I gave my response I almost wanted to say now shut-up and take notes for the rest of the workshop. How you gonna try and test the “Capital P”? Loooooool.

So all jokes aside there are over 350 ethnic groups identified today in Nigeria. This is clearly as my homeboy Steve-O thought me this week during our intense planning meeting an illustration of one of the “Competing Constraints” that is troubling our country in its current state. Yeah, I know you all liked that “Competing Constraints”. I did not graduate from Notre Dame like Steve-o but I sure know how to talk that talk and trust and believe me I got more of that to come in the future.

If I was to compare Nigeria in size, only Alaska in the United State is bigger in terms of square kilometers. Alaska is very diverse in terms of population but no where near 374 ethnic groups. Hence; once again there lies one of our major fundamental flaws as a country. I am all for acculturation and will only promote the ideas of assimilating only when appropriate. Those are two cultural competency terms and incase you are not sure of their meaning; acculturation is the process of adapting to the norms of a dominant group while maintaining your ideas, values and beliefs. While assimilation is the process in which a group adopts all the customs and attitude of the dominant culture and ultimately rejects its own ideas and values common to his/her own indigenous roots.

The bottom line is be it Nigeria, United States or any other country for that matter people are no longer connecting or putting too much stock in their race or ethnicity like many years ago. The group that people all across the globe first identify themselves with and want to connect better with is their social-economic group. People truly only see themselves as either being, RICH, POOR or SUFFERING.

I just want to be comfortable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS