Friday, October 19, 2012

Go Crazy for Nigeria

What’s up people?

I know you were all glued to your television sets for this week’s presidential debates. Now was it only me or did anybody else not catch the COON of a human being that tried to play President Obama on a national level with his “Uncle Tom” question? Somebody had to have planted this dude in the audience. SMH; not only was that a great example of Black-on-Black (BoB) crime on a national level but it was also a BoB on an executive level. Now this is too funny; am looking at CNN Headline news and I just seen some African American woman holding up a Romney & Ryan sign in the background. It is very clear that she was strategically placed to be standing right smack in the middle of the campaign rally. HILARIOUS

Ok people; let me get focused… 

Nigeria’s Super Eagles were playing in a very important competition this past week to qualify for the AFCON tournament set to kick off in January 2013 in South Africa. As disappointing and troubling our football federation has been in recent memory, there was nothing more frustrating than knowing that not one local television carried the broadcast in order for supporters to watch and root on our national team. WTF? I mean I know the product on the football pitch is nothing to rave about these days but to just shun viewers and disregard the symbolic importance football is as a rallying force that brings our country together must not happen again. I am not a homer; I stick with my country in good, bad and ugly times ALWAYS.

This is something that I have often experience in recent years about many Nigerians, we are more excited and apt to tell you about what is going on in American politics, English Premiere League Football, Hip Hop & Entertainment both in the United States and UK. But go ask them about the status of affairs in their own villages, cities and respective states I bet 90% are clueless. Better yet, they want to talk to me for hours about Obama, Rhianna, Beyounce, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Young Money and Ricky Ro-zay. Now when it comes to Nigeria the standard operating answer to anything and everything is our politicians are thieves and crooks. Wow, that really took a lot of thought huh?????

There remains so much backwards thinking in our country. It is almost as if you can’t add to a conversation in the world of sports, entertainment and politics outside of Nigeria you are irrelevant. Like that makes you current, cool and legitimate. I say this because growing up in Nigeria I was that person. But it is extremely difficult to have pride in something when it is repeatedly devalued and discredited as having no substance. What we need is a balance; so the same way I was in amazement of the life of those overseas growing up in Nigeria, I also was raised to have pride, respect and a sense of belonging to my still developing country.

Trust and believe me that I agree with some of the global assessment that we currently find ourselves in as a country. Maybe this is the start to something beautiful in Nigeria, the Super Eagles go to South Africa and dominate the tournament and bring home the chip. From there maybe another positive moment comes out of Nigeria and we continue to build on the momentum. I do know that it is not easy to stay on top of current events in Nigeria because 95% of what is published in the papers or televised on network television is utter rubbish and trash. It is so easy to stay on the negative with everything, why not put in a little more work, research and share with the rest of the world our many strengths.

Anything is Possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS