Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Ugliness of City Life

What’s up people? So I was walking on a bed clouds a few hours ago, well more like I flew over and through a bed of clouds today. Maybe I should change my name to “P Lion” like Snoop Dogg because flying sometimes would probably feel most comfortable if a brother was under the influence smoking a little some of that “sticky ickey”. Know what am talkin’ bout??? The Capital P does not promote the use of illicit substances so do not go to the airport high as a kite explaining to security that P said it was a good idea to blaze up. Ok people; Let me get focused… This has been one of those weeks where everything around me SLOWED down drastically. I was in small little town in upstate New York for week long training and I must say it sure feels good being back in the DMV. Now that is a first, the idea of me showing excitement over my return home to the grind of the big city warrants an investigation. Can you imagine living in a community where the local airport is no bigger than your local CVS pharmacy? There is like only one taxi service in the town and you basically are carpooling with strangers to get from place to place. And oh btw; the plane I flew in only had two pieces of luggage checked in for pick-up at the carousel and off course mine was the biggest because us Afrikans only have one rule when it comes to travel, “pack and take everything”. I think what really got me tripping was how rural certain parts of “the United States” still is in the 21st century. It is crazy to come across people thriving by living a very basic and ordinary life where their world is not consumed by the materialism of smart phones, tablets, Dre Beats, Xboxes, macbooks, flat screen HD televisions but they sure did make it a point to have wireless internet though in my hotel. I mean I know of villages back home in Nigeria more advanced and sophisticated than this local community I visited. While on that point, I must say this is the only town I have been in recent memory where I did not run into one Nigerian or Afrikan for that matter throughout my stay. As much as we Afrikans can’t stay in one place and love to move around I was in shock that someone did not come up running to me shouting; “Oh, it is him... Oh my goodness Prince Akeem your highness, let me take a picture”. LMAO! On my return home this weekend a few things have made a lasting impression. I was able to see people comfortable in their own skin and character with no pretensions, what a concept for all you city folk. I don’t know if it was because I was the only black male staying in my hotel or they like how I tipped but people sure were very respectful, courteous and appeared somewhat genuine. That was until the front desk staff charged me a dollar for a bottle of water one night which almost brought out the Mad Angry Nigerian, but I chilled, that's right I chilled. Just know CAPITALISM is everywhere. In closing let me just say this, why do so many of these small little communities have that stoner hippie vibe to them? I mean is it me or does it not seem like 90% of the people look like they are hooked on crystal meth or just puffed a Bob Marley dude. A quick update for the people; so all it took was to have a Nigerian lady sitting behind me on my connecting flight home cough on all the passengers in her general area on our one hour flight, have the plane stuck on the runway for 45 minutes after landing and having to put up with the same Nigerian lady being loud as f**k to remind me of how much I missed city life. Am just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS