Friday, November 2, 2012

You Are Not In Control

What’s up people?

I must say that the highlight of my week thus far was catching the pre-game festivities of the Boston Celtics versus Miami Heat NBA game this past Tuesday night. Seeing and watching Kevin Garnett (KG) totally disregard or acknowledge Ray Allen’s existence as he walked up to him and tried to shake his hand took me back to the days when little boys grew up to be men who value principles such as FAMILY, LOYALTY, HONOR and INTEGRITY. Now I don’t know KG on a personal level to speak to his character per say, I mean after all his just an NBA player. How tough or bout it can he really be? I will say that moment in itself did show me all I need to know about the dude. His a RIDER & he will RIDE-OUT for his people. We all need people or someone that you can go into the foxhole with and you know will have your back. They don’t make men like they use anymore. Too many of these dudes today are NOODLES.

Ok people; Let me get focused…
It is time that we ALL start to take advisory warnings more seriously. Like many people I am too quick to brush off any news report. We get so inundated with media hype relating to brewing natural disasters that my first response is “Ain’t nuffin’ happening to me”.  It is so bad that my brother for like 10 years running now is always nagging and sweating me to make sure I get flood insurance. He swears by this flood insurance as if it is a new iPhone 5. And I just love whenever there is a news report of possible bad weather, all of my family in Nigeria, UK, and including America start calling and talking as if the storm, hurricane or blizzard is only targeted to do damage to me. You gotta LOVE family because it is so comforting to know that someone cares.

So this time around that storm and hurricane that I had often disregarded and blown off in years past finally caught up to me. Her name is Sandy and she put a beating on me this week. I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a flooded basement that had over 3 inches of water once the power went out from the strong winds. Here is a quick tip; the next time the power goes out, make it a point to stay alert and inspect your home until you have full assurances of no potential damage happening to your home. Do not pull the African move like me and go straight to bed with the idea of sleeping it off and waking up the next day as if nothing happened.                                                              
The truth is as much as we think we can control things and manage disasters from happening, there is nothing you can really do when it is your time to suffer the ills of mother nature. As I approached my basement Monday night and I witnessed moving objects on the floor floating like fishes in the pond all I could do was hope and pray for the best outcome from that moment forward. Lucky me, I was out of power so I had no account and knowledge nor could I witness what my fellow countrymen/women were going through up and down the east coast. What did pull me through was the love and support from my family and friends that remained in contact with me throughout which helped me stay focused on the task at hand and gave the reassurance that things are going to work out just fine. You see be it my wife, siblings, parents, extended family and friends I had a whole bunch of Kevin Garnett’s with me that I knew were helping me in battle as I was doing work in my fox hole.

All my peoples is RIDERS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS