Friday, November 23, 2012

The Black Friday HYPE


What up people?

I think I am suffering from a little turkey day hang-over people. Going through one of those I aint doing a d*** thing, I aint moving a muscle and you gonna have to beat me with a stick to move me from my couch modes. But seriously, I hope everybody made the most out of their time with family on turkey day. I had a FANTANSTIC Thanksgiving. Now before I get into this week’s post I was asked by one of my advisors to remind you all to stay true to your character and core at all times. We all know there are fake people amongst us everywhere, the test is weeding out the baggage that try to consume us with their garbage.  

Ok people; Let me get focused…

I made an executive decision to stay home today on Black Friday in order to avoid the madness outside. As I was watching the news broadcast I came across a story in Florida where two people were shot over a parking space dispute and just started to chuckle at the foolish behaviors of people. Quick fact; Walmart this year on Black Friday alone processed nearly 10 million register transactions and almost 5,000 items per second between 8-12 according to another report. NWO!

Now can somebody explain to me how we go through a whole year of election campaigns, debates over tax cuts, fiscal cliff looming and a steady growth in unemployment to now an uptake in consumer buying all in the name of Black Friday? Massive projected sales and big spending have already shattered records of years past and we are only in day one of the holiday mayhem.

In our so called pursuit of the perfect deal, it kills me how the black and minority communities continue to volunteer themselves all in the grand scheme of keeping us in further debt. I am “Nigerian & Black” so I guess I at times suffer from a case of double financial ignorance when it comes to money management and long-term financial stability. Let me make something very clear, I know not saying all Nigerians or all black people are inept when it comes to spending money or managing their finances. However, I can comfortably say living 35 years of my life in both distinct communities and cultures has proven that we like nice things and we will go through great lengths, even at the expense of our own inconvenience at times to own certain material possessions.   

Sensible and prudent shoppers this time of year do their research and apply these rules as they start their holiday shopping;

  1. Cyber Mondays offer better or just as good enough options for consumers.

  1. Black Friday is not the busiest day of shopping of the year as falsely advertised. 

  1. Most major retail chains start their Black Friday sales actually before the day after Thanksgiving.

  1. Sorry to disappoint you all but there are never any freebies as advertised.

  1. Those same deals you spend hours/days camping outside stores are typically available on-line.

  1. Retail companies actually compete against one another and do offer matching pricing options 

  1. Retail stores typically do not offer/honor return policies on Black Friday purchases.

$hop $mart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS