Friday, November 30, 2012

Nigeria & Public Transit

What up people?

I think I definitely caught the mega million lotto bug this week for sure people. I actually made a couple of trips to the local bodega and bought what I knew for sure to be the winning tickets only to wake up to the disappointing news, “You Are Not the Winner”. I mean a percentage of the $500 million would have sufficed but hey what is a BRAVEHEART like me to do but to keep on trying and go after the next jackpot. I did hear someone in Missouri took the prize, I think I am happy for them but SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT I would have been two stepping all over my living room floor if the outcome was in my favor. So now that I am getting a better understanding of the whole lotto bonanza am calling it early now people, I will be taking home a jackpot at some point in 2013. WATCH…WATCH.

Ok people; Let me get focused…

I normally drive to and from work everyday in the DMV. I mean to be honest I drive to anywhere and everywhere pretty much and I love it. Today though I took public transit and was on the train and all I could think about was if only Nigeria one day could grow its infrastructure to the point that public transit back home in Lagos can be looked upon as an asset not a death sentence for people. I revisited so many fun childhood memories today riding the train; like when my brother and I would run down the big yellow DANFO buses in our school uniform and sandals to make it to the morning assembly just in time to avoid that whipping in front of the student body and on our return leg home we would hop on buses with no bus fare in our pockets only hoping to be saved by an adult that would allow for us to sit on their lap. NWO! Nigeria the land of the infamous “No LAPPING o” SMH.

Seriously my experience today riding the train was a much needed respite. It was so peaceful that I took the opportunity to walk a d**m near mile home after getting off at my stop in the freezing cold weather outside. The reality of public transit in Nigeria is a combination of the zoo, circus and everything in between. Nothing is ever civil amongst patrons. The hustle and bustle of it all just wears on you. I mean you could leave your house clean, fresh to death looking like a million bucks but by the time to make it to your destination you look a hot tired mess in part because of hostile and highly aggressive climate you find yourself in during the commute. 

Sitting in front of me on the train this morning was a young aged school boy with his backpack. He seemed at peace and reserved as he was commuting by his lonesome with not a visible concern or worry that I could detect. For an instant, I thought about all the young aged school boys and girls that never get to experience this level of calm and tranquility on there morning travel to school back home. The idea of being able to get on a bus or train in en route to school and only have to focus on academics should not be viewed upon as a luxury and exception to the rule but the standard. I don’t know the last time anybody got on a bus in Nigeria and witnessed people just reading newspapers, listening to iPods or conversing in a civil non-threatening manner. Your typical public transit commute in Nigeria will routinely have some type of mechanical failure or tire malfunction, fumes and spoke pumping out the exhaust into the atmosphere and like two to three passengers dangling on the door step all the way to the final destination.

I can only wish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS