Friday, July 27, 2012

Finding Your Commitment to Excellence

What’s up people?

This week truly has been a blessing from my creator, the man from up above. My sincere and heartfelt regards and many thanks to each and everyone one of you that took the time to help make this year’s B-Day so special. So to let you all know that I still keep it “G” for my peoples regardless of how old I am getting these days here is a quick TRUE Story. Sometime mid-week on an early evening after work I pulled up into a department store parking lot, as I got out of my HOOD-RIDE one old head gentlemen looked at me with a seal of approval by nodding his head and commenting, “Suit & Tie and still bumping to that GANGSTA music”. My response to the Old G, “You never lie M…I am HIP-HOP”.

Ok people; let me get focused…

The late Oakland Raiders National Football League (NFL) owner once proudly said after a team victory to the press, “you get great coaches… great players… a great organization… you tell them one thing… JUST WIN BABY!” To me that is EXACTLY what the Olympic Games have always represented and stood for over time. One can only garner a level of admiration and respect for the men/women who for four years sacrifice and train for their one moment before millions of people on an international stage all in hopes of displaying their Commitment to Excellence.

Life in so many ways can be so much like the Olympic Games when you think about it. Personally, my favorite part of the entire Olympic festivities is the opening ceremony, commonly referred to as the parade of nations when each country is allowed to proudly display their flag along with its delegation. I mean I always spend hours upon hours watching on television the little five seconds of air time Nigeria if we are lucky will get to walk the Olympic stadium in their much overstated attire. The opening ceremonies often mirror our youth and innocence; everybody has that belief in him/herself that he or she is destined to achieve GREATNESS.

However, once the actual competition kicks-off, you start to clearly see those that have put in the long hours of gruesome training show-off their talent and the natural abilities to fight and compete for that ultimate prize in this case the GOLD Medal. But just like in life the Olympics also exposes the ugliness and a dark side of a world of cheaters who take short-cuts to achieve success. In every Olympic Games, there is always some type of scandal that will ultimately depict an athlete as a fraud or a particular delegation as CHEATERS.

Recently, I have come to learn that two very close and special people in my life have started their journey and their Commitment to Excellence by focusing their efforts and talents on starting their businesses. I am extremely proud of the two because there are all in and will not stop until they are standing on that podium receiving their GOLD; in this case I think both will settle for a fledging profitable career as successful entrepreneurs. 

So for now please take in and enjoy the parade of nations before the competition gets underway this weekend. I will be rooting on every African and Nigerian athlete representing my country and our continent in all competitions. I always get a kick out of the swimming competition because there is always the story of the one African in the pool who looks like his half swimming and half drowning all in the same stroke that will get lapped like by two pool lengths. The whole thing is so very comical.

But for real though, I am American so I do look forward to cheering on the good ol’ USA against them Jamaican sprinters in the men’s sprint competition. Now before I close out, I must give a (S/O) to my fine American women sprinters; Alison Felix, Sonya Richards-Ross and Lolo Jones. I might have now just jinxed their chances of winning any type of Olympic GOLD now.

Let the Games Begin…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS