Friday, February 17, 2012

When Friends Grow Apart

What’s really good people?

It’s the 3rd weekend in February and still no winter snow storm yet for the DMV? And out of nowhere today the weather man wants to call for 6 inches of snow on Sunday? Hmmmmmm! Looks like another ploy to have retailers storm the supermarkets and buy everything in site to only get 1-2 inches of snow. Speaking of the economy, has anyone also noticed that Gas prices are already climbing over $4 per gallon and we ain’t even reach spring yet? Time to go get my BMW (Bus, Metro & whole lot of WALKIN’) serviced for the spring & summer like right NOW.

Ok people; let me get focused…

So a friend and I were talking earlier in the week when the topic of a get together with friends from high school came up. And me being “who I iz” RESPECTFULLY declined the invitation. What a reach for me huh? Anti-social “P” like so many of my LOVING family and friends commonly refer to me as. Truth is I know who and what I am and have no problems communicating things I have no interest in to others.

The conversation then touched on how it would be nice to see friends we grew up and had a special bond with in our youth and how there is nothing painful in spending a few hours over a dinner and catching up. So my next response was then I don’t know about you but sometimes some things are just better left in your past for us to savor and reminisce over than to try to forge and recreate especially when both sides have come to terms to function apart as such.

That is crazy talk coming from me RIGHT? I mean the same excuses I am making to not meet up with my High School friends is the total opposite when it comes to other folks in my life. I mean there are people in my life today that I don’t see or talk to daily, weekly, or even on a yearly basis but whenever the opportunity presents itself for us to kick it, it is like WE never missed a beat and our conversations and interactions are so fluid that it just starts to feel like old times again.  

So here is how I see things; just because we both share surnames don’t mean you my family and just because I see you everyday don’t make us friends. COMPRENDER? And in the words of my brother A+ “O Sha mo…”I mean I got love for many people I grew up with and until this day we are joined at the hip but in the same token, I don’t lose sleep over faces and personalities that often can bring out the worse in me. The people I want to remain connected to are people that I have always had mutual respect for, bring out the better qualities in me and can tolerate my values or thoughts no matter how much we differ on a topic. But in the same breath, be it just the other day or 15 years later, there are always a handful of people that there mere presence just almost makes you go Apes**t whenever your paths cross. 

Now one of the things that I can admit to as a BIG character flaw of mine is the fact that I take myself way too SERIOUSLY. But guess what, if that is the worst of me, then I will take it AGAIN AGAIN & AGAIN.  The people we should want to keep in our lives are those that can command the RESPECT of room enough to shift a conversation or discussion primarily due to an understanding that they serve as an extension of us despite our absence.

Addition by SUBTRACTION…   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS