Friday, January 14, 2011

Up Close with “AiRis”


What's good people?

Way too much going on in the world these days, senseless killings are everywhere.  Please make sure to always keep that third eye open family.  Also, respects to my Haitian friends and the families who went through the horrific earthquake one year ago this week, continue to stay in the fight!

Ok people, Let Me Get Focused...

Here on the "MY OMO NAIJA" blogspot we take pride in drawing attention to Nigeria's best! Some from generations past and the new waive of brilliant & talented young personalities Naija has to offer.  This week's blog profiles an artist that I see with that "it" factor.  Boys and Girls - Ladies and Gents; I am talking about AiRis!!!

Born in Cairo, Egypt to a Nigerian father and an Egyptian mother, AiRis spent her young adult years between Nigeria, United Kingdom and Egypt.  From Lebanon to UK, France, Ghana, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Jamaica and Canada, AiRis is truly an international artist that has been influenced by many genres of music. Her style of music is alternative pop and soul music with various cultural influences, specifically African.  Her debut album "The AiRis Project" is set for release in the spring of 2011.

"It has always been a lifelong ambition to use music as a platform to merge varying cultures, ethnicities and communities together.  I think every song is a lesson or story that anyone can listen and relate to or learn from, no matter how small the message". AiRis

I recently caught up with AiRis for an exclusive "All Things AiRis" interview - from her upcoming debut album, musical influences and the global perception of what people think of Nigeria and our people.  AiRis has always had a special place in her heart for music.  From the high she gets from it, to the releasing of her alter ego, the experience of connecting with those who are touched by her lyrics, melodies and message, these are the things that drive and push her forward to work even harder.



Panko:            What is the inspiration behind your songs/music?  Are they from personal experiences, life in general or just whatever comes to mind at the moment? 
AiRis:              All of the above… My inspiration comes from everything basically. Current events in the world/news, conversations with people and whenever I go into some deep thought on an issue that is troubling me in my head.

Panko:            What is your process when writing a song or
                        recording?
AiRis:              Normally we produce the beat first.  The beat typically draws me to the type of song I want to write and make.  And it’s a team effort – mostly working with a producer and co-writers as well. 

Panko:            What do you do for fun?
AiRis:               SHOP, SHOP, SHOP; I love Shopping!!! 

Panko:            Tell me or describe to me your style of fashion?  Who/what do you consider hot?
AiRis:              Sheek & Elegant; Not too revealing but sexy I
                        would say.

Panko:            You have a distinct look and features?  Where does it come from?
AiRis:               People always ask me am I Nigerian? Where you from? Yes O, I was born in Cairo Eygpt to a Nigerian father and Egyptian mother so I be “Omo Naija” like you.

Panko:            What qualities do you look for in a man? A
                        Turn on/Turn off?
AiRis:              Turn On:   Caring, Considerate,
                                          Strong-minded, Ambitious
                        Turn Off:   Liar, Self-centered, Boaster.

Panko:            If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be and what would say to them?
AiRis:              I wanna meet Michael Jackson but he passed away.  So I would say Diddy or Kanye. Kanye because I think his misunderstood.  They are both interesting characters.

Panko:            Ten years from now you will be….
AiRis:              A multi-platinum selling artist with her own very successful record label.

Panko:            Any projects you working on now or in the near future you would like to plug to your fans?
AiRis:              I am working and finishing up on my debut album called the “AiRis Project”. It’s taking time to complete but good things take time, right?

Panko:            What's your favorite place to eat in Lagos?
AiRis:              Yellow Chilli in Victoria Island.

Panko:            The one stereotype about Nigeria/Nigerians you would like to correct people on?
AiRis:              That we’re all fraudulent or criminals.  Too many times Nigerians are perceived as corrupt, it’s a stereotype that outsiders have of us.  Not all Nigerians are crooked or steal, there are Nigerians who have achieved and soar to great heights in literature & poetry like Nobel Prize winner Wole Soyinka or in music like the great Fela Kuti.  Why is it that we don’t discuss or hear about our achievements in art, poetry and others? But we’re quick to be portrayed as fraudsters by those in/outside of Nigeria. I for example see the stereotype twofold; being a Nigerian and being half Arab I don’t want to be portrayed as dishonest and corrupt nor do I want to be labeled as a terrorist.

Panko:            Any shot-outs to your fans?
AiRis:              Please, please don’t forget to look out for my debut album TAP; “The AiRis Project” due out in spring 2011.  Also go to my website at www.airismusic.com for all up to date information.  And a Happy fulfilling New Year to all!!!!

Panko:            The name AiRis; what’s behind it?  It’s origin?
AiRis:              It’s pronounced I-Ris!!! Its origin is simple. It’s a combination or a play on my first and last name. I pretty much restructured it and played with it that’s all.  I-Ris represents color, flower, diversity and that’s how I represent myself.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate hearing new music and up coming artist coming up in Niga due to the fact that the great ones are passing away.. This does help does of us leaving in different countries abroad to know what is out there
    cheers people

    ReplyDelete

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS