Friday, April 5, 2013

Nigeria's INVISIBLE Healthcare

What’s really good people?

So let me quickly tell you all about how my young nephew “Ash Baba” got me with a very convincing April fool’s Day joke this week. This silly kid was so good and clever that when he called me all hysterical on the phone talking all reckless that he really got me worried like REALLY REALLY concerned. Man when it comes to kids I was always taught to assume and the worst and over-react since you can always do damage control afterwards if necessary. By the time this kid got to telling me he was pranking me, I was so upset and angry with him that I think I wanted to put him in “Time Out” for like FOREVER or maybe I can just take away all of his toy privileges for 18 months that will teach him a good lesson for next year.
  
OK people; let me get focused…

I was all ready to write on something totally light this week but I just could not get over a prevailing issue in Nigeria that continues to discourage and disappoint all at the same time. Rather than work to improve the quality of health care available to the people, Nigeria has now become a country of the first flight out of town will do when it comes to seeking and getting medical attention. I mean what does it say about the medical practice of our country when I continue to read about Patience Jonathan (Goodluck’s wife) continuing to seek treatment in Europe for her ongoing surgical procedures. Are you telling me that nobody in Nigeria is qualified enough to meet her medical needs?

According to the Nigerian Medical Association, over 5,000 Nigerians travel overseas monthly for medical treatment. That is an estimated loss of $500m annually. For years now I have been reading and hearing about all the brilliant and talented young Nigerian doctors our country is producing so where are they because apparently they do not reside in Nigeria? Nigerian International football great and hero Nwankwo Kanu has also chimed in on this matter saying that the rush to seek medical treatment abroad is gradually killing the health sector of our country due to the loss of billions of dollars to other countries. Kanu is one of very few Nigerians who actually did something to help remedy this crisis by helping to start his Kanu Heart Foundation that combat issues of heart disease in young children.    

It is my personal opinion that the true issue and concern not only stems from the inadequate and deplorable facilities and conditions to work and care for patients under but also that old colonial complex stigma that Nigerians are all too well known for plays a major part. As long as we continue to hold the white man as the “Mr. Know & Fix it All” psychological our practitioners do not stand a chance in any sector let alone healthcare. I honestly and truthfully do not hold it against anyone; it is your business what you decide to do with your money in order to care for self and family. My worry is what and where do the people who do not have the money go when in need of serious medical attention?  

The reality of the situation is Nigerians in its current state remains willing to suffer and sacrifice for an improved social equality, human rights, public safety and good governance. We have grown too comfortable with an out of sight out of mind approach to handling all of our affairs. Let us work to do right by those in need of our support and attention.

Time to Take Care of One Another   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS