Friday, February 25, 2011

In Nigeria Talk is Cheap

Allow me to begin this week's blog spot by giving a very special shot-out to one of the "Kool Keedz". "Soso" hope you feeling better baby girl.  We all Love Ya!!!

This week marks the 46th anniversary of the assassination of the late great Malik Shabazz “Omowale” better known as Malcolm X.  No Glitz, No Glamour, only SUBSTANCE and PURPOSE!!! As we close out Black History month here in the states it is important that I pay my respects to a great man who truly understood the importance and the need to bridge the gap of my two worlds. Those back home in Nigeria (Africa) and those affected by the cruelty and hardship of slavery here in America.  Malcolm X was one of Nigeria’s favorites, hence the name “Omowale” (in the Yoruba dialect Omowale means the child has returned home) giving to him on his visit to Nigeria in the early 60’s. In his words, an excerpt from an interview with Bernice Bass of the Malcolm X Museum; “Well, the Nigerian people are great. You never can find any people anywhere in Africa more hospitable and brotherly and who will welcome you more warmly than the people in Nigeria.”

We miss you…  

Ok people; let me get focused…

Unless you have been underground like the Chilean miners in the past month or so, the most over emphasized and used term heard around the world these days is “Revolution”.  In its simplest form it means a total or radical change.  So as previously stated here on the “My Omo Naija” blog spot we don’t do politics and religion; however, I ask that you allow me to go in and just let off some steam and keep it 100% this week.

Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Libya, China and now Cameroon, what do these countries all have in common? As much as people are quick to point to a “Revolution” and their efforts in demanding change in leadership of their respective governments, I challenge you to look deeper and consider how the impact and role of social media benefited those tired of the status quo. Ok now, the world has witnessed a historical period in our lifetime that will go down some day as turning points for the aforementioned nations.  The events of this past month have demonstrated that galvanized or energized masses who gear themselves up hoping for a better tomorrow can have a promising future.  

How does this all relate and tie into the situation and current conditions of my beloved homeland? Well, in all my dealings and communication with my family and friends of Nigerian parentage since the uproar started, I have yet to find an individual with the conviction that such mutiny or “Revolution” can come to Nigeria.  So, when I thought long and hard about it and asked why, the consensus and common response is that we Nigerians (me included again) are settlers and satisfied to the point that we do not like to be made uncomfortable.  Is this true? I for one am no expert in Nigerian politics, its constitution or history. However, I have decided that I must take the initiative to educate myself and ask questions to better my understanding of the current state of affairs that continue to plague this very proud nation of mine. 

With that said, I would like to start by pointing out the circus act that has been poorly covered by the media and pawns that claim to be credible journalists; the 2011 Presidential campaign which kicked-off back in September 2010. The campaign created a buzz in the country with the announcements of potential candidates, as one after the other threw their names in the race.  Unfortunately, only the acting president (by default) and a larger than life former military leader drew all the headlines both locally and internationally as legitimate contestants for the presidency.

Pause - Let me make myself clear, I am so sick and tired of the state of governance and leadership in Nigeria not producing results that are better for all people.

What should we as Nigerians do next? By no means are my intentions here to tell you who to vote for or support when stamping your ballot on Election Day.  But when the general culture and political climate is plague-ridden by deceit, lies and irresponsible reporting I have to request a call to action to all “My Omo Naijas”.  Why is it that the only political career worth scrutinizing, examining and probing in my lifetime is that of the former Military General?  I don’t know this man and I don’t care to advocate for his policies.  What I do know is too many of my fellow countrymen/women would rather point the finger and blame others for their state of affairs than take action and ownership for their decision making.  Furthermore, what I also see here is an attempt to impair and vilify one individual for all of Nigeria’s problems. People this is unacceptable and highly irresponsible and should never be the standard in which we measure progress. 

The truth is our nation just celebrated its 50th independence anniversary.  Are you trying to convince yourself, definitely not me that the former Military General’s governance is the only one you find fault with during the timeline of our separation from British rule? The fact is, we see it time and time again, mostly the unqualified village idiot type that some how is handed power as a head of state – who threw rocks at glass houses, and finds him/herself leaving the state of Nigeria in far worse shape than their predecessors. The reality of the matter is politics like in every part of the world is “BIG BUSINESS”. Therefore, understand and recognize that the same person you elect to make decisions on your behalf already answers to – was appointed and selected by another group of people to carry-out and execute their agenda.     

I have a request to make to all the “My Omo Naija’” viewers, followers and supporters.  Let us work on living a more meaningful and purposeful life.  What you do with your social media accounts i.e. emails, Facebook and Twitter is your business. But please put a little more thought, care and make a better account of yourself because this so called “Revolution” the world is currently undergoing requires as much. We need to establish more authentic and meaningful dialogue amongst ourselves if we expect to influence change.  The road to a new Federal Republic of Nigeria is ours for the taken if we want it bad enough.

“If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything” (Malcolm X)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS