Saturday, February 2, 2013

AFCON 2013 - The Beat at Africa's Feet

What’s really good people?

Hope you all are well out there. I missed my peoples these past few weeks and am so glad to be back home here in the DMV that is for sure. So what has gone down since we last kicked it? Let me see I only got one of the GREATEST news ever, “those that know never tell”. I heard “Lying” Lance Armstrong gave one of the worst acting performances of the year during his sit down with Opera. Everybody’s favorite, Beyonce was caught lip singing the national anthem during the inauguration ceremony of the last Black president of the United States for a while. And my brother “Daddy J” regained his Ibra-hi-mo-vic status on the pitch by putting up goals like Nigeria’s Super Eagle striker Emmanuel Amunike on the pitch. Lyfe is Good!

Ok people; let me get focused…

The last time I spoke to you all I mentioned that I was headed to the AFCON 2013 tournament in South Africa. My two weeks away on vacation was an experience of a lifetime that will stay with me for eternity. My time spent in the cities and back roads of Johannesburg and Nelspruit South Africa with my junior brother and friends was the much needed respite to help recharge my juices, call to mind my thoughts and provide me clarity to execute and carryout my future plans.

South Africa in itself is one big trip LITERALLY. I mean there is so much to talk about that I am going to spread this piece out into a mini three part series. I want to focus this week’s post on the meaning of the African Cup of Nations (AFCON). One can easily simply dismiss it as just adult men playing and kicking a football around during a month long tournament but like many other sporting events celebrated worldwide i.e. the Super Bowl, Olympics and World Cup this is an event with an impetus on nationalism, brotherhood, a level playing field and the fighting spirit.  

By no means do I expect to mislead you all, the AFCON is also one major party as well people. I call it the biggest “Nasty Afrikan” party you will ever attend. When you don your countries colors on a match day, you become one in spirit with your fellow countrymen/women. The chants, music, food, euphoria of your country’s national anthem playing over the loud speakers right before kickoff sends a tingling sensation throughout the body. The whole thing is just so extremely poetic. To be frank, no other country in Africa embodies these qualities like my people of Nigeria. I mean to see it or to be told is one thing but to be in it and soak it all in with people of like minded ambitions is AWESOME. All my life I have grown to believe sports and music are two of the most powerful methods of therapy we are offered free of charge so why not take advantage of it whenever available.

This is still Africa after all and only during the AFCON tournament am I able to sustain a long enough tolerance for that very heavy body odor smell that I so dread when am amongst my people, standing in over 5 hours of heat, sweat and beer is all totally acceptable in anticipation of a match winning goal. Shouting “Inside the Net” when we have possession and “Over the Bar” at the opposition is one of many corky things I got to experience. Nigeria & Nigerian football lovers you have made me so proud.

So major kudos to the country of South Africa for hosting this magnificent extravaganza with very little to no hiccups from my observation. One can only marvel to see infrastructure, security, facilities and services the likes of the western world in the same Africa I grew up in over 20 years back. Your country can serve as a good example for the rest of Sub Saharan Africa to model itself after when it comes to development, economic stability and organization.
AFRICA the future is OURS if we choose to work together.

All we are saying is Give Naija more Goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Na Wa O (NWO)!

Na Wa O! - is slang or a pidgin term used back home in Nigeria and other parts of Africa that simply illustrates something unbelievable, makes you speechless or leaves you flabbergasted.


KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week

KOOL KEEDZ PIX of Week
SUFFERIN & SMILIN

POPULAR POSTS